Saturday 17.00-18.00 at Hong Kong
Etherpad (moved to #Notes)
We will together discuss what Wikimania should achieve. For example for you as an individual, for the chapter and/or for the wider movement.
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 07:00, 25 June 2018 (UTC)
I definitely want to attend, but WikiWomen's Lunch is also happening at the same time which I am coordinating. I will attend on Saturday. Thanks for the time change. Netha Hussain (talk) 08:08, 27 June 2018 (UTC)
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 17:57, 27 June 2018 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 00:00, 4 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ciell (talk) 14:41, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
- Romaine (talk) 07:41, 9 J Kouly 2018 (UTC)
- Astrid Carlsen (WMNO) (talk) 14:33, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Anthere (talk) 01:12, 11 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 18:54, 17 July 2018 (UTC)
- --Gnom (talk) 19:44, 17 July 2018 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:45, 19 July 2018 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk)
- Balajijagadesh (talk) 14:46, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ranjithsiji (talk) 14:50, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- RonnieV (talk) 14:52, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Sidheeq (talk) 14:57, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Wittylama (talk) 15:55, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Sara Mörtsell (WMSE) (talk) 15:57, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- آرش (talk) 15:57, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Sannita 16:28, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 16:31, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
- André Costa (WMSE) (talk) 14:51, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
- What must Wikimania achieve?
- Team for Diversity
- Preparations before flying in to the conference
- Sharing our experience for others to learn from
- Must motivate individual contributors
- Must be a starting point for stuff to be followed up
- Must be inclusive of other organisations
- local partners
- agenda implementing
- record all sessions
- preside support for international programs
- editathons in the area
- local partnerships
- engage developers
- the local culture crawl
- fix behind-the-scenes stuff for Wikimania; eg submission systems;
Improved documentations + focus on implementation
- Wikimania 2019 should focus how to implement the agenda (discuss how to implement what the working groups are doing). This can be in "talks" if sumbissions are designed to ask speakers to be practical. Record (video) and document so that someone outside of the room can use it and also a service to the presenter so that they can have more impact. Institutional memory. People are flying over the world so more sustainable if their effort is shared.
- How can the program design (?) help guide participants to center how the are bridging Knowledge gaps? To get something actionable from Wikimania, is it possible?
- Move towards a multilingual meeting. A chance to have the local context in mind.
Sustainable Develpment Goals as a theme and/or framework
(John Cummings and Jan Ainali)
- Wikimedia is working on all of the SDGs, some on more than others
- Matching our work to the SDGs will allow other organisations to understand the value of our work
- Having SDGs as a theme will be more inclusive of other organisations
- Understanding the impact of our work through the framework of the SDGs
- Help people understand the wider contxet and value of their work
- Wikimedia as a knowledge repository for the information needed to reach the SDGs, UNESCO has created the learning goals for the SDGS http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002474/247444e.pdf
- SDGs are 2030, Wikimedia strategy is 2030
- Make it easier to work with other organisations as we are matching the goals, NGOs, IGOs, UN etc
- Make it easier for funders (governments, foundations etc) to understand the value of our work as the SDG framework is a common framework
- Provides a framework for Wikimedians to learn how to talk to their governments of the value of their work
- Allow us to understand the gaps of our own activities, ie. are there goals that we care about but where we actually aren't doing that much
- Providing a lens to explain to the media what Wikimedia does/effects
- SDG indicators allow us to measure our progress and impact
- Perhaps make commerical sponsorship easier through using a framework they may be familiar with and that they may wish to be associated with (need avoid greenwashing though)
- A lot of the groundwork can be reused, a framework we can use in Wikimedia work for the next 10 years
(6 tracks per day * 3 days = there is room for one track per SDG)
- Make sure the people they want to talk to are there -- send the right developers (or others) from our side.
- Invite Google, Facebook, Twitter etc -- those who refer to or depend on our data. Teach them best practices. Get them to the hackathon.
- Make sure developers' employers pay for their time there, so they don't have to take the days off.
- Have them have a friendly face there. Present them, tell them how things work, don't isolate them and assume everyone knows what is happening.
- Use their wish to pay back to open source.
- Use this as an excuse to engage people who have wanted to meet up for a long time.
Talk to Liam & Phoebe about program infrastructure - make a plan for next year (6 months of development/set up)
- Mix of presentations, workshops, networking, meet local partners
- Language diversity. Translations. Presentations in own
- Include people who don't speak English. Side conferences?
- Start planning early, include a diverse crowd in planning
- Remember transparency in scholarship commitee
- New participants: not easy if you don't speak English, make sure how to include them
- Venue: not a matter of money but what meassage are we sending from a 5 star hotel
Map the Gap
- #GapMap: focus on measuring what's the situation with and how we are *closing* the gaps we talk about: gender, language, content, small projects
- Have several ways and criterias to measure it -- throughout the years (make it an annual thing?)
- Some proposals
- How do small projects react to recent/new events? Do they write new articles? Do they discuss it? Do they do nothing?
- Using Wikisource and Wiktionary/Lexicographical Data for providing an "easier step" for newcomers AND save their own language
- What is missing in Wikimedia ecosystem? (A citation project? A genealogy project? A kids project? A oral tradition project?) Let's have a WORKSHOP about it.
notes on behind the scenes stuff for wikimania - submission systems
PRESENTATION / SLIDES / LINKS TO MATERIAL SHARED