Program/The Wikipedia Library Card Platform: How you have access to 100,000 journals
- When and where
- Saturday 21 July, 12:00
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Hong Kong
- Topic area
- Relationship to theme
The Wikipedia Library team at the Wikimedia Foundation spent the last 6 years developing partnerships to get you free access to reliable sources like journals and newspapers. Now you can access all of those partnerships through a central website where you can sign up for packages totaling more than 100,000 journals.
This detailed demo walkthrough will show off the site, how it works, what is planned for its next development phase, and what you can do to bring it to your community.
The platform's phase 1 development has already tripled signups to sources, but the most exciting developments are still nearing completion. In the near future editors will not have to sign up for most sources at all, but instead receive instantaneous access to a "bundle" of 60,000 journals all discoverable through a modern central search and discovery interface. For other sources, the time from signup to access will shrink to nearly zero, as Wikipedia Account logins become the credential for access rather than separate passwords.
Critically, this is an internationalized and localizable website where each community can not only translate the interface for their language, but also help select and pitch publishers desired to meet and fulfill their community's research needs.
Participants will be able to:
- Locate the Wikipedia Library Card Platform online
- Browse through partner descriptions and navigate through a complete application
- Understand how the application review process works
- Build their community connection to the platform through awareness, translation, regional partner pitching, and a local TWL branch in their language.
- Explain the benefits of the platform, including major upcoming features
Participants will understand how to use the Wikipedia Library Card Platform and customize it for their own community.
- Rossouw van Rooyen (talk) 19:09, 18 June 2018 (UTC)
- Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk) 14:10, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
- RonnieV (talk) 22:36, 20 July 2018 (UTC)
- <add your username here if you are interested in attending>