Program/How can the Wikimedia community work better with experts? Using open license text to collaborate, a case study from UNESCO
- Open licensing
- Expert outreach
- GLAM partnership
- Content reuse
- When and where
- Saturday 21 July, 11:00
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Hong Kong
- Topic area
- Relationship to theme
Wikimedia is a community that should include a large number of experts from a wide variety of fields but Wikipedia finds it very hard to retain new contributors, in person Wikipedia training retention rates are around 1%.
What alternatives models are there for contributing text other than to editor training?
There is a huge opportunity to use the very large amount of open license text being produced to bridge knowledge gaps in Wikimedia project. The Directory of Open Access Journals holds 3 million open license articles, the Met Museum has 450,000 descriptions available under CC0.
Using open license text we can expand our community to include experts without requiring them to learn to edit Wikipedia. At UNESCO we have been working on a process and instructions which can be used by anyone to find and use open license text on Wikipedia and measure the content's reach. UNESCO has produced over 1500 open license publications written by experts and we have begun to share this knowledge on Wikipedia through this process.
The presentation will include an overview of the work done between Wikimedia and UNESCO, an overview of the documentation and tools to reuse open license text on Wikipedia and a case study from UNESCO presented by a UNESCO staff member.
To understand a new way for experts to contribute to Wikipedia. To be able to use the documentation and tools presented and for attendees to able to use the process in their own projects.
- MassiveEartha (talk)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 02:35, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
- I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 16:28, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 14:10, 18 June 2018 (UTC)
- Rehman 09:58, 24 June 2018 (UTC)
- Ammarpad (talk) 15:07, 27 June 2018 (UTC)
- Спасимир (talk) 19:42, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
- May Hachem93 (talk) 10:06, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Lentokonefani (talk) 06:35, 18 July 2018 (UTC)
- User:Christopher Schwarzkopf (WMDE) (User talk:Christopher Schwarzkopf (WMDE))
- Heather Hodgson
- <add your username here if you are interested in attending>