|Date: July 18th 2018|
(lunch provided 1-2pm)
|Location: SunSquare City Bowl, Wale room|
This event is being organized by the Wikimedia Foundation Education Team in partnership with WMZA & Wiki in Africa and with collaboration from e/merge Africa.
give us your feedback!
Please fill out our feedback form if you attended this event
Please join: http://meeting.uct.ac.za/emerge2018room1 (this will activate the download of the Adobe Connect software). Use the Guest login option and log in using your name. Allow yourself a few minutes before the start of the event because you may need to check your audio settings when you enter the room.
How to register:
If you have already registered for Pre-Conference days at Wikimania:
Go to Eventbrite and view your order. Click edit on pre-conference day 1. You can change your selection to the Wikimedia&Education event.
If you haven't yet registered:
Follow registration procedures for Wikimania. When choosing a pre-conference event, select "Wikimedia&Education."
(optional) Add your name here:
Don't forget to add your name to the bottom of this page, so we know who to expect!
Challenges and opportunities in South Africa and beyond
We believe Wikipedia belongs in education. When students of all ages contribute to Wikimedia projects as part of their learning, they gain significant 21st-century skills. By fostering a relationship between Education and the Wikimedia movement, we have the best chance to realize our goal that “the sum of all knowledge” will be accessible to everyone in the world for free.
The Education Pre-Conference at Wikimania will put education programs into perspective by taking a deep look at the educational challenges that exist in our host country, South Africa, and how Wikimedia projects are making an impact. We will engage Wikimedia program leaders, educators, and other like-minded organizations to share with and learn from each other, helping to realize the full potential of Wikimedia projects in education.
- Participants will have a deeper understanding of the impact that Wikimedia projects can have on education.
- They will have improved their ability to advocate for Wikimedia in education.
- Participants will have a deeper understanding of how programs can be contextualized to meet local challenges.
- Participants will grow their network and find like-minded collaborators.
- Opening User:NSaad_(WMF)
- Featured Speaker: Nic Spaull
- Workshop: Wikimedia in the classroom: What works and when?
- Moderator: Lorenzo Newman, Moleskine Foundation
- Wikimedia&Education in Africa, a presentation of programs
- Small group discussions/unconference
Please get in touch with nsaad wikimedia.org with any questions
Free registration for e/merge 2018: Festival of e-learning in Africa
We have been provided 70 free registrations to the e/merge 2018 Festival of E-learning, an online conference from 9-20 July 2018 organized by the e/merge Africa online professional development network. If you are interested in attending at no charge, please send an email to nsaad wikimedia.org for the free registration link. These will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
Planning to attend? Add your name here:
- NSaad (WMF) (talk)
- Dungodung (talk) 19:43, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Mardetanha (talk) 20:30, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ârash (talk) 10:31, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
- Wassan.anmol (talk) 05:58, 12 July 2018 (UTC)
- Hasive (talk) 08:42, 12 July 2018 (UTC)
- --ولاء (talk) 10:47, 14 July 2018 (UTC)
- Gikü (talk) 14:12, 14 July 2018 (UTC)
- Justice Okai-Allotey (talk) 20:38, 17 July 2018 (UTC)
- Visem (talk) 08:34, 18 July 2018 (UTC)
- Sara Mörtsell (WMSE) (talk) 09:31, 18 July 2018 (UTC)