User:Islahaddow/How to get involved
This is a draft page to shape how media driven audience members can engage with Wikipedia during Wikimania ...
Wikimania is coming to Cape Town in July 2018. This page should give you different ideas how you can get involved in the Wikimedia movement ... This page provides the many different ways to get more information and get involved.
At the event, and want to learn how to edit?
So you got enthusiastic about Wikipedia or one of the other project and now you want to become an editor? See us at the "Learn to edit"-desk next to the registration, and we'll help you create an account and do your first edits!
Find out about Wikipedia and its sister projects?
These links will help you to find out more about Wikipedia and what it is.
Fun videos explaining Wikipedia from Cameroon and Nigeria:
- TV Spot Wikipedia "Maladie"(English Subtitles)
- TV Spot Wikipedia "Dance" (English Subtitles)
- Wikipedia - Emmanuella goes to school
- Wikipedia - Things come together
About Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects in general:
- Read about Wikipedia
- Read about the other projects
- Ten things you might not know about Wikipedia
- What Wikipedia is not
- Listen as Wikipedia is edited
Are you interested in editing Wikipedia?
It is a good idea to get started by expanding information on subjects that you know - your home town or suburb, your special interest, etc.
- The Wikipedia Adventure is a game that will help you to get started
- When you are ready to start your first article, read the page linked here.
Are you a teacher, university or college student, academic, specialist or enthusiast in a specific subject matter?
- Please consider attending either Wikimania or the pre-conference Education Day. You can register here.
- There are a number of pre-conference events planned, please watch Social Media channels for details.
- A guide to the conference for newcomers will be available on registration at the event.
- Think about running a Wikipedia course at your school or college. Here are some training modules, contact the Wikimedia groups listed below or join the education projects listed below.
Do you want to join your local Wikimedia group?
Wikimedia Chapters and User Groups are involved in editing and photographic events, visits to heritage sites, education programmes and writing competitions and drives. They are always looking for people to join and get involved in contributing Africa's knowledge and culture to Wikipedia. There are Wikimedia Groups across Africa, please consider contacting them to find out when the next event or project is planned so that you can get involved.
- Algeria: Algeria Wikimedians User Group and on Facebook
- Botswana : Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana
- Cameroon:Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group and on Facebook
- Côte d'Ivoire: Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire and on Facebook group
- Egypt: Egypt Wikimedians User Group
- Ghana: Wikimedia Ghana User Group
- Ghana: Open Foundation West Africa and Facebook
- Mali : Wikimedia Planning Usergroup Mali on Facebook
- Morocco: Wikimedia MA User Group and on Facebook
- Nigeria: Wikimedia Community User Group Nigeria and on Facebook
- Nigeria: Igbo Wikimedians User Group and Igbo Wikimedians Facebook page
- South Africa: Wikimedia South Africa and on Facebook
- Tunisia: Wikimedia TN User Group and on Facebook
- Tanzania: Wikimedia Planning Usergroup Tanzania on Facebook
- Uganda: Wikimedia Planning Usergroup Uganda on Facebook
Activities across Africa that you might want to be involved with:
- the WikiAfrica movement – the movement that drives content contribution across Africa
- Wiki Loves Women – a project celebrating African women on Wikipedia
- WikiGap – a global celebration of women around 8th March for International Women's Day; contact individual countries organisers
- Wiki Loves Africa – the annual photographic competition that celebrates Africa across different themes
- Wiki Loves Monuments – the world's largest photographic competition that celebrates heritage
- Wiki Loves Earth – international photographic celebration of protected wild and natural areas
- Wiki Fundi – the offline editing platform and Wikipedia library for content contribution