We cannot guarantee that the information provided is accurate or up to date. Even the official South African government websites may contain outdated or incorrect information. To avoid unpleasant surprises, get information regarding your visa application confirmed in writing.
South Africa enjoys particularly strong relations with countries in Europe, Southern Africa, North and South America. Most countries in these regions do not need a visa to enter and travel around South Africa if their stay in the country is less than 30 to 90 days.
Accès sans visa
Free access (no visa required for stays of 90 days or less)
Free access (no visa required for stays of 30 days or less)
- Corée du Sud
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
Passport holders of countries NOT listed above will need a visitors visa or a business visa to enter South Africa to attend the conference.
Applying for a Visitors Visa
Citizens of countries that are not one of the visa exempt countries listed above will require a visitor's visa for South Africa. The following documentation is needed when applying for this visa through a local South African consulate or embassy:
Please note that these are intended to be general guidelines, and you should be sure to check with your local embassy or high commission when finding the exact requirements for your visa application.
- Valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa.
- Prescribed form BI-84.
- Two (2) passport photos
- Round trip flight itinerary
- Proof of sufficient funds (recent bank statement, credit card etc)
- Proof of hotel accommodation (hotel reservation or a letter of invitation from the host (relative or friend) in South Africa.
- Proof of host’s legal status in South Africa
- Non-refundable fee of $72.00 money order
- Yellow fever certificate is required if applicant passing through or from a country in the yellow fever belt area of the world before entering South Africa.
The organising committee will support participants with special visa needs. Contact: visaswikimedia.org
South African consulates and embassies
- Visa South Africa - information service for visas and immigration permits to South Africa
- Embassy information.com: Tool to find SA embassies
- Embassy-worldwide.com: Tool to find SA embassies
- List of South African embassies around the world.
Assistance de visa pour Wikimania
If you are attending Wikimania 2018 and require a visa, the Wikimedia Foundation can provide you with a letter to support your visa application. However, please note that beyond providing a supporting letter, the Wikimedia Foundation is unable to influence the visa application process.
If you require a supporting letter, please contact email@example.com.
When writing to request a supporting letter, you must include your full name, home address, and passport number in the body of the email. Please do not include a PDF of your passport, as attachments will not be opened. If you know the address of your visa application centre and/or the name of the South African official processing your application, please include that as well.
Please allow plenty of time when requesting your visa letter before your visa application is due, as the WMF does not prioritize urgent requests. Requests for invitation letters will be filled in the order that they are received.