Welcome to my page! I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on platforms for community-owned publishing of research and data. In the past I worked on a national digital library, at a "purpose of the Internet" research group, directed part of a global education project, and served as a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on matchmaking people with ideas. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer | Challenges | Federated knowledge | Design chats
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Movement thoughts on roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions | North American Wikimedians
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 22:42, 17 August 2022 Wikimedia Foundation elections/2022/Candidates/Michał Buczyński/ro (hist | edit) [11,710 bytes] Aegis Maelstrom (talk | contribs)
- 19:35, 17 August 2022 Private Incident Reporting System/Timeline and Updates/en (hist | edit) [224 bytes] FuzzyBot (talk | contribs)
- 19:34, 17 August 2022 Private Incident Reporting System/en (hist | edit) [5,650 bytes] FuzzyBot (talk | contribs)
- 18:24, 17 August 2022 Wikimedians of the Year/bn (hist | edit) [5,313 bytes] আজিজ (talk | contribs) Tags: Mobile edit Mobile web edit Advanced mobile edit
- 17:46, 17 August 2022 Wikimedia Foundation elections/2022/Community Voting/Election Compass/Statements/th (hist | edit) [123,008 bytes] Patsagorn Y. (talk | contribs)
- 15:58, 17 August 2022 Complete list of Wikimedia projects/hu (hist | edit) [2,154 bytes] Lois131 (talk | contribs)
- 14:53, 17 August 2022 Content Partnerships Hub/Helpdesk/Content Upload/Current projects/Natural History Museum (hist | edit) [3,225 bytes] Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk | contribs) Tag: Visual edit: Switched
- 14:51, 17 August 2022 Content Partnerships Hub/Helpdesk/Content Upload/Current projects (hist | edit) [524 bytes] Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk | contribs) Tag: Visual edit
- 14:46, 17 August 2022 Stewards/sah (hist | edit) [12,602 bytes] 220.127.116.11 (talk)
- 14:45, 17 August 2022 Wikipedia for Peace & Media Responsibility 2022/Links and more (hist | edit) [238 bytes] Hadi (talk | contribs)
- 12:26, 17 August 2022 Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group/2022 (hist | edit) [159 bytes] Strainu (talk | contribs)
- 12:20, 17 August 2022 Content Partnerships Hub/Helpdesk/Content Upload/Template/bn (hist | edit) [2,005 bytes] আজিজ (talk | contribs)
- 12:16, 17 August 2022 Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire/bn (hist | edit) [9,267 bytes] আজিজ (talk | contribs)
- 12:16, 17 August 2022 IP Editing: Privacy Enhancement and Abuse Mitigation/IP Editing Restriction Study/Farsi Wikipedia/bn (hist | edit) [47,603 bytes] আজিজ (talk | contribs)
- 11:58, 17 August 2022 Info visibility on Wikipedia (hist | edit) [4,910 bytes] Olugold (talk | contribs)
- 11:00, 17 August 2022 Wikimedia Foundation elections/2022/Announcement/Delay of Board of Trustees election/he (hist | edit) [2,499 bytes] I'm the cookie monster (talk | contribs)
News : Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting : Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun : SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Strategy : w:User:John_Carter/Opinions (2009), 2015?
Top of the desk.
Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24
| Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, EO chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
te : soughameter optional)