Wikimania Upload marathon 2018 will take place on Wednesday, 18 July 2018 and Thursday, 19 July 2018 during the Wikimania 2018 pre-conference in Cape Town.
Developers, designers, translators, documenters, testers and anyone interested in collaborating on a technical hacking project are welcome at the Upload marathon.
Friendly Space Policy and Code of Conduct
All participants in the Upload marathon are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimania Friendly Space Policy and the Code of Conduct for technical spaces. Individuals not cooperating with these policies may be asked to leave the event.
See Registration and register for Pre-Conference Day 1 and Pre-Conference Day 2.
Between now and the upload marathon, all participants are welcome to start thinking about sessions they are interested in proposing. Closer to Wikimania we will outline a process here to propose sessions.
- Session covering any of the Wikimedia’s technical areas
- Skillshare on topics around uploads on Wikimedia projects
- Featured Projects suitable for new developers proposed by project contributors
Program and Schedule Information
New sessions are added to the upload marathon throughout the event by participants, therefore we do not print the program on paper. You will need a laptop or mobile device connected to wifi or data in order to access the program. There will be a physical up-to-date program at the help desk as well.
Volunteering at the Upload marathon
The Wikimania Upload marathon is an event run for and by its participants. Everyone attending the upload marathon can take as much personal responsibility to co-create the event and improve it as they like. Soon we will define some roles you can sign up for to help make the event better for everyone.
The uploads showcase will be an opportunity for participants to present their projects to all Wikimania participants. Presentations should be concise and understandable by non-technical Wikimania participants.
Recommended Items to Bring
- Laptop and charger, it will be very hard to participate without these!
- Power plug converters
- Phone charger
- Preferred note taking tools
- Reusable water bottle (there are ways to refill these)
- Video output converters for possible presentations
- (For chargers, converters etc, consider labeling them with your name/email address)